Moving Out

When you get ready to move out , you should give your landlord a written copy of your forwarding address to have a chance to get your deposit back. It is always better to supply a local address to your landlord. Your forwarding address can be the address of your attorney, family member, or someone else acting as your agent. Always leave the place clean and personally return the keys. The landlord may be able to charge you for each day that you have the keys. Take pictures or videotape, have witnesses walk through the place, and ask the landlord or manager to walk through as proof of the condition of the dwelling when you left. Also, ask the landlord if there is any damage she plans to charge to you. Make a list of the damages, and get the landlord to sign the list. You have the right to repair or remedy these things yourself. If you disagree with the landlord, try to calmly negotiate in person and in writing.

If the landlord will not walk through the house or apartment with you (or sign the list), send her a letter requesting a walk through again and state that she would not agree to walk through with you (or sign the list). Keep a copy of the letter yourself. Later, if the landlord makes deductions from your deposit for damage that was not present when you left, of for damage that was not as severe as the landlord claims, or which you would have repaired yourself (at a lower cost), you have a basis to dispute the amount of the deductions. See Security Deposit.

If you are moving out and did not give advanced notice that you were not renewing the lease or you are moving before the lease is up you may not be entitled to your security deposit. See Security Deposit, Termination.